23 Sept 2015

Nick Gilbert Hollow Elastic - Review



I first started pole fishing well over 20 years ago fishing local waters for roach, rudd, perch and tench if I was lucky. Carp were a mystical creature that you might hook for a few seconds before they inevitably snapped your line or elastic. In fact when i first started pole fishing it was really meant for fish under 2lbs; the elastic was all imported latex and IIRC a no.8 was the heaviest I could get.

Fast forward to 2015 and the pole is used to regularly land everything that swims and elastics range from natural (and double) latex to solids and hollows and most of the elastic I use now, starts at a No.8. In my opinion (and I know a lot of anglers prefer solids)  hollow elastic and more recently the addition of puller bungs has revitalised pole fishing. Having an elastic covering a range of grades and a puller to add some backbone has transformed fishing. I first discovered hollow elastics as Daiwa Hydro over 12 years ago and instantly it was an unbeatable upgrade for my fishing over what had gone before, now big fish could be specifically targeted and landed whilst the flexibility of a hollow meant smaller fish could also be caught on the same top kit.

However Hydro has always been at the top of the table for cost. This wasnt so important when I had 2-3 top kits and the elastic could easily last 2 years. But then I noticed a change. In certain grades Hydro seems to degrade quicker than at one time so the longevity now affects its cost. I have since been though virtually every mainstream brand of elastic in some form or another before a  few years ago deciding to try some of Nick Gilbert's hollows following lots of positive internet reviews. I have found them to be excellent both in performance and value for money and although i dont keep elastics in my top kits for years at a time now, Ive had no issues with the product degrading over time.

Most branded elastics seem to cost between £10 and £15 for 3m, while the NG hollow is available in specific lengths (to minimise paying extra for length you dont need) from £4 for 2m to £6 for 3m.TBH I'd rather pay more for the right product than get an inferior, cheaper replacement.

In this case I truly believe this product is equal to, if not better than the original. Hydro is the only elastic that can legally have a liquid in its core (as sold)  but in comparison I cant tell any difference in use.

Nick's elastic comes in a range of sizes as you'd expect but also some subtle variations :-


Amber Core - This elastic starts of quite soft but powers up quickly so has a wider rating than the                               other hollows. Nice to stop smaller fish splashing on the surface too easily.


Twin Core -    Soft but a more consistent stretch to give more control over a running fish.


Micro Bore -   Newest variation which as the name implies has a finer central hollow bore. This leads  to a much thinner elastic and helps alleviate any flattening of the elastic under pressure

Personally I like the micro bore blue (4-8) for winter silver fish on commercials; the twin core green 10-12 is absolutely gorgeous and soft but with a strong backbone and the new pink micro bore 6-10 seems great as an allrounder.

As I've said before - this review is my personal opinion. I haven't caught 300lb bags on this elastic (or any as you can tell from the blog !) but I believe it's outstanding. To elasticate 6 topkits costs me a maximum of £36 as opposed to £60 for most other products - that's a big difference. But as I said at the beginning of this post; if the elastic wasn't up to the job - price would be irrelevant.

Finally on my last trip to the Angel I was catching 3-8lb carp on a top kit using the Amber Core Black 12-16 for the first time. Last year fishing the same venue with a Middy 12-16 I lost over half the fish I hooked through pulls. This time using the same terminal tackle on the NG elastic I lost 1 out of over 20 carp. I need a bit more usage on the bank of course and maybe in the past I'd had a large amount of foul hooked fish - food for thought though ?


Thanks for reading

Tight Lines



website for Nick Gilbert Elastic


http://float-store.co.uk/NG-Twin-Core-Amber-Core-Hollow-Elastic

No comments:

Post a Comment