23 Sept 2015

Review Daiwa 150 SB seatbox - UPDATED 23.9.15




On my return to fishing after a 3 year break I found my old Penrose Seatbox in a  slightly sorry condition. I tidied the box up but on using found the old niggles of wooden boxes (I.e sticking drawers when wet) made life a little harder than it could have been.

So a new box was needed ! I had a budget of £200 but found limited choice for my needs. Ive always used a base unit for reels, pole cups, etc.so I wanted similar. My old box had 5 drawers and I couldnt see me coping with much less (although I do admit I carry too much gear).

I looked online at the Ultimate boxes which seemed great value, but reviews seemed split between excellent/awful which seemed too risky. Matchbox also had a few options that appealed, but in the end after actually sitting on one I went for the Daiwa 150 SB, slightly above my price range at £220.

Shallow front drawers
Base Unit
The box has the requisite detachable base unit (15cm deep), with 2 shallow front drawers and 2 full length cross drawers plus underseat storage.

2 Cross Drawers

I went to B&Q and bought some black L-shaped plastic to make drawer dividers with and a cheap storage box from Poundland which, after removing the lid, gives a great divided area for underneath the seat.  I also added 2 spirit levels to assist with setting the box up.

Underseat Storage
The seat is brilliantly comfortable and I can open any drawer whilst sitting down. The box is rock-solid and coming from the Penrose where I could tighten the screws until they bit into the legs,  then still find it slipping during use, this is a revelation.
The legs have never moved once in use and that's with still not feeling like I need to over-tighten the knobs. The legs themselves are 25mm round ones so any accessory that can fit the Preston Off-Box Rive (green) insert or similar, works a treat.

The footplate being a cassette type stows away nicely for transport but in use is also perfect.  I thought id miss the adjustability of a folding system but the height is just right (for my legs at least) and I can stand on the footplate without it folding up too..

I can honestly say this is one if not the best item of tackle I have ever bought and I really cannot recommend this box any higher for the price. Whilst a good seatbox will not make you a better angler - it's just made my fishing that bit easier and more comfortable meaning I can concentrate on other aspects more.

Thanks

Robin


* 2ND UPDATE 23.09.15 *

Nearly a year on from my update regarding slipping leg blogs and I'm pleased to say the legs haven't slipped the slightest in use. When i look back at the issue I had with the faulty 2 blocks,  I now remember that at that time I had used a bike lubricant in the blocks. Where I keep my box is not a totally dry environment and I didnt want any of the threads to corrode. Perhaps the oils reacted with the plastic somehow  or more likely the extra ease of movement meant I had unknowingly overtightened the hand knobs. Of course it still could have been a fault but its strange how 2 blocks failed so suddenly and totally. 

Anyway the upshot is that I haven't heard of any seatbox that doesnt have some kind of niggles. I still think that if you shop around and get it for a good price that there is nothing out there better for its price and size. I think any upgrade would cost at least £350 while I paid £220. So it gets a reprieve and returns to being superb in my eyes. 
(Old) UPDATE - 1.11.2014

Earlier this year I posted a glowing review of the above seatbox. its been perfect over the last 11 months until my last trip, when 2 of the legs on the main box started slipping; to the point it would slip with the slightest pressure.

This has really disappointed me as the box has been used less than 12 times and I'm not exactly vast at 13 stone. 

The box was returned to Daiwa who have replaced 2 of the blocks but as its now out of warranty I can't have confidence that the other legs won't fail as well.

It's a pity as I hate to give bad reviews, but I cant now recommend a product with such a major potential flaw.

Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment